For all of us, the pandemic has been an unprecedented time of change and uncertainty. Our families, our jobs, and our livelihoods have been upset and tumultuous. As we are hopeful that the pandemic is slowly coming to an end, we want to let you know that Capital Area Pediatrics is here to continue providing excellent, personal care for every child.
Like you, we have had to tolerate and institute change in our lives. As you may know, healthcare has been pushed and tested during the pandemic. While it has been challenging for all of us at Capital Area Pediatrics, we are grateful that so many have stuck with us and helped us through these changes. We would like to thank all of our clinical and administrative staff for troubleshooting and persevering with wisdom and grace. We would like to thank all of our families for your patience as we continue to evolve. There is never a dull moment in the practice of medicine, especially during a pandemic.
We understand there have been questions about the status of our nurse advice line. During the pandemic, there was a need for our providers to provide the initial evaluation of your child due to the complexity of COVID and the constantly evolving guidelines. We streamlined our process to provide direct access to the providers who could quickly evaluate your child. We appreciate your patience as we continue to improve patient access, which has proved difficult with the recent surge in other viral illnesses as restrictions have eased.
Capital Area Pediatrics has been your neighborhood pediatrician for decades. We hope to continue offering excellent, personal care that meets the ever-changing and evolving healthcare needs in our community.
We would like to take this time to inform you of some old and new updates to our practice:
- For all urgent medical concerns, we recommend you schedule an appointment, either in person or via telemedicine. Our providers can give your child the best care and treatment by seeing them! We have been busier than ever with sick patients, school and camp physicals, and mental health evaluations and are doing our best to get your child in when needed!
- Non-urgent questions or follow ups to recent visits can be sent via messages through our portal. Please be advised that messages can take up to 48 hours for a response. We do NOT recommend using the portal for urgent medical advice, but encourage you to make an appointment with your provider via telemedicine or in person.
- We continue to offer telemedicine visits! While we are really excited to see your children in the office, especially when a physical exam could help us diagnose your child, is a convenient way for your child to be assessed, providing sometimes faster access to our amazing team of providers. Telemedicine works well for many issues, especially mental health and behavioral concerns, follow ups to chronic conditions, and medication checks.
- We continue to offer , avoiding crowds in the waiting room and letting you wait in the comfort of your vehicle! Touchless Check-In also gives you the convenience of completing visit paperwork and screenings in advance of your appointment, and allows our providers to best prepare for your time together.
- We are still requiring those over age 2 years to wear a mask and request one adult per child for all visits over age 2 months. Because we are a health care setting and the majority of our patients are not vaccinated, this is to help reduce the risk of transmission of COVID and other viral illnesses that are circulating in the community.
- We offer testing! When your child is sick, we are able to offer rapid antigen COVID testing that will result the same day. As always, we also offer rapid strep, rapid influenza, and rapid RSV that can also result the same day. Our providers are well-versed in deciding appropriate testing and hope to get them back to camp, school, or daycare as soon as they are feeling well!
- The COVID-19 vaccine is now available to existing patients 12+ (as well as their parents/guardians). You can your vaccination appointment online. At this time, we are not administering vaccines during routine well visits due to predictability of using all doses in a vial within a certain timeframe.
- We now offer for well visit appointments for existing patients! We plan to add additional visit types to further provide you with scheduling convenience and improved access to our providers.