Back to school is always an exciting time for both you and your children, but it can also be a bit hectic. From helping your young one with the summer book report they put off until the week before, to getting last-minute school supplies and making it to doctor checkups, preparing for school can get a little stressful. At , we want to make this time as stress-free as possible for you and your family, so we are ready to assist you through this transition. We offer a wide range of pediatric services to meet the needs of your family and make sure your children are getting the care they need to start the school year off right.
Finding a Pediatrician in Falls Church, VA
At , we offer a variety of pediatric services to meet the unique needs of your family. From comprehensive well-child checkups and immunizations to treatment for minor illnesses and more, our team is here to help keep your child healthy and happy.
- - We recommend well-child checkups at least once a year for children of all ages. During these visits, we will track your child's growth and development, and update you on any developmental milestones they should be reaching. Before being enrolled in local school districts such as , , or , students must provide reports of a completed physical examination from licensed physicians and be up to date on required vaccinations and screenings. During their well-child visit, we will administer any necessary immunizations and proper screenings for illnesses, and guide you in keeping your child healthy and safe.
- - We know that kids will be kids, and sometimes they get sick. Whether it's a cold, the flu, or something more serious, our team is here to help. We offer same-day appointments for sick visits so you can get your child the care they need as quickly as possible. You can also an express sick visit appointment through our website.
- - As your child enters adolescence, they will need to start thinking about their health in a whole new way. At Capital Area Pediatrics, we offer comprehensive adolescent care services to help your teen transition into adulthood. We provide guidance on everything from nutrition and exercise to mental health and more.
- - A sports physical is a physical exam performed by a physician to ensure your child is healthy enough to participate in physical activity. As they grow older and get more involved in school, many children choose to participate in sports and extracurricular activities. If your child wants to join a school sports team in the surrounding school systems, they must provide proof of a completed sports physical. At Capital Area Pediatrics, we offer sports physicals to make sure your child is healthy and able to participate in the activities they love.
- - Childhood can be a surprisingly tough time for many kids, and we want to help them through it. With the challenges that accompany growing up and trying to fit in at school, many children can experience troubling or confusing emotions. Mental health is just as important as physical health, and maintaining your child's mental health can significantly improve their quality of life. That's why we offer evaluations for children and teens struggling with anxiety, depression, eating disorders, and more. We can offer some counseling within Capital Area Pediatrics, or refer to community partners for further in-depth management.
- - Some children have trouble keeping up with their school work or paying attention in class, which can negatively impact their learning and development without proper care and accommodations. We offer screenings and evaluations for children who may be struggling with learning or attention disorders like ADHD or dyslexia. We can also provide guidance and resources for parents to help their children succeed in school and manage their diagnosis.
At , we know that every child is different and that no two families are alike. No matter what your family needs help with, your trusted pediatrician will be there for anything that you need at any of our five locations across Northern Virginia.
Meet Your Family's Pediatrician
Along with preparing for a new school year, finding the right pediatrician can be an equally daunting task. At Capital Area Pediatrics in Falls Church, you will have no problem finding a trustworthy physician who will dedicate themselves to providing exceptional care to your family. Some of the healthcare professionals you can expect to meet at our Falls Church location include:
- - Dr. Katherine Baeder joined the Capital Area Pediatrics Falls Church office in July 2018. She comes to us from Pittsburgh, PA where she was a practicing pediatrician in a pediatric group and provided clinical services at a local urgent care facility. Dr. Baeder completed her pediatric residency at Children’s Hospital at Montefiore in New York in 2016 after earning her medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in 2013. Dr. Baeder and her husband have recently transferred to Northern Virginia and are exploring all that our area has to offer with their young daughters.
- - Dr. Chris McConnell is a board-eligible pediatrician, originally from Cincinnati, Ohio. He received a bachelor's degree in English literature from Harvard University and a master's degree in physiology from the University of Cincinnati. He obtained his medical degree from the University of Kentucky College of Medicine before completing his residency in pediatrics at the Memorial University Center in Savannah, Georgia. In his free time, Dr. McConnell enjoys exercising, traveling, trying new restaurants, and spending time with his family.
- - Hanita Oh-Tan is board certified in pediatrics and has been practicing at the Falls Church office for 16 years. Before coming to Capital Area Pediatrics, she worked as a pediatric hospitalist at the Children's Hospital, Boston. Dr. Oh-Tan completed her pediatric residency at Children's National Medical Center in 2003 after graduating from the George Washington University School of Medicine in 2000. Dr. Hanita Oh-Tan expressed that she feels honored to be a part of helping families raise their children to be healthy, both physically and mentally. Dr. Oh-Tan lives with her husband and 2 children in Fairfax, and enjoys cooking, movies, traveling, and spending time with her extended family in her spare time. Her advice to patients is to be kind, be patient, and learn something new every day.
- - Amy Pierce is board certified in pediatrics and has been practicing at the Falls Church office of Capital Area Pediatrics since 2003. Prior to joining CAP, Dr. Pierce worked as a staff pediatrician in the Emergency Department at Children’s National Medical Center (CNMC) in Washington, DC, for two years; the same place she completed her pediatric residency in 2001. She graduated from medical school at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York, in 1998.
Dr. Pierce holds a special interest in areas such as asthma, treatment of minor injuries, and child development. Originally from New York, Dr. Pierce now lives in Herndon with her husband and three children. In addition to keeping up with her twin son and daughter and their older brother, she enjoys cooking, photography, and spending time outdoors.
- - Dr. Allison Siegel, board certified in pediatrics, joined the Falls Church office of Capital Area Pediatrics in the summer of 2014. Dr. Siegel completed her pediatric residency at the University of Maryland after graduating from the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 2011 and completing her undergraduate studies at the University of Pennsylvania in 2007. Dr. Siegel's areas of special interest include child development and behavior. In her spare time, she enjoys playing tennis, hiking, and learning to cook.
- - Dr. Holly Spanier, FAAP, is a board-certified pediatric physician who began practicing with the Falls Church office of Capital Area Pediatrics in 2012. Dr. Spanier completed her pediatric residency at the INOVA Fairfax Hospital for Children in 2008 and graduated from medical school at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in 2005.
In her spare time, Dr. Spanier enjoys spending time with her husband and 3 young children and participating in hobbies like tennis, reading, biking, and travel. She also spent time during college studying Spanish in Spain and enjoys opportunities to keep practicing.
- - Dr. Phyllis Waxman is board certified in pediatrics and joined Capital Area Pediatrics in 1999 at the Watson Salsbury Offices. Dr. Waxman graduated from the University of Maryland in 1987 before she completed her pediatric residency at Children's National Medical Center in 1990. In 2017, Dr. Waxman was awarded the 'Mom-Approved Doctors' award by Washington Parents Magazine.
- - Before working at CAP, Penny worked as an Emergency Department Physician Assistant at Sentara Northern Virginia Medical Center in Woodbridge, VA, and Sentara Lake Ridge Emergency Department in Lake Ridge, VA. Penny has special interests in pediatric dermatology, treatment of minor injuries, and promoting healthy lifestyles for all children.
Penny grew up in Boise, Idaho, and has lived in the West, Mid-West, East Coast, and Europe. One of the highlights of the time between her undergraduate and graduate studies was the four years she and her family spent as expats in Geneva, Switzerland. Penny and her husband have four children, two daughters and two sons, and live in Oakton where they enjoy spending time outdoors and playing with their dog, Scout.
- - Kim Hawkins is a Certified Lactation Counselor who joined Capital Area Pediatrics in 2019 and is currently working on her IBCLC certification. Kim and her husband moved to Washington D.C. in March of 2007 from Michigan. While she began her career working for a corporate fitness company, she switched careers after the birth of her second child in November 2013 to become a labor and postpartum doula. She is passionate about working with families of newborns as she knows how overwhelming of a time it can be and understands that having non-judgmental support can make all the difference! She has been bringing her three kids to CAP since 2012 and loves the doctors and staff so much that she started working here!
- - Jennifer Zaptin is a Registered Nurse and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Jennifer spent the first 13 years of her career as a nurse in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. After having her first child, Jennifer saw firsthand how challenging breastfeeding could be and wanted to help support mothers during this time. Since becoming an IBCLC, she has worked in both hospital and community settings, helping families through the breastfeeding process from the time of the first feeding to weaning years later. Jennifer lives with her husband and their three children. When she isn't driving her children to the dance studio or a sports venue, she enjoys exercising, scrapbooking, and policing their two large puppies: Whiskey (Vizsla) and Mabel (Great Dane).
No matter what service your family needs, all our Falls Church providers will be happy to assist you. The team of healthcare professionals at Capital Area Pediatrics is dedicated to giving your family the compassionate care you need, whether it's at Falls Church or any of our other locations.
What's Coming Up This School Year in Falls Church
Falls Church is home to several excellent schools, and we know that parents want their children to get the best education possible. At Capital Area Pediatrics, we serve multiple school districts, including , , and . These excellent school districts promote a student-centered, innovative, and inclusive community of lifelong learners, so you can rest assured that your children are in good hands. If your children experience any or struggle with , your Falls Church CAP pediatrician is right nearby to lend a hand.
Falls Church is a vibrant, close-knit community with plenty of activities and events for residents of all ages. Even though your kids will be busy with school during the day, there are plenty of activities for the family to do on the weekends or after school -- if they've finished their homework, of course!
The is open every Saturday from 8 am to noon, rain or shine! With over 30 vendors, the market offers a wide variety of options for you and the family to explore and create a fun weekend tradition. Also coming up is the 46th annual on September 17th. This family-fun event will feature The Taste of Falls Church, a beer garden, live music, children's entertainment, and booths from local crafters, businesses, and civic organizations. Come visit us at the Capital Area Pediatrics table!
As your children settle into the new school year and your family jumps back into a routine, don't hesitate to reach out to for a helping hand. Our team of care providers is ready to help your family stay happy and healthy all year long. Each of our locations can assist you with all of your healthcare needs, whether it's during the school year or on summer vacation. With locations in , , , , and , we are sure to be in a neighborhood near you. Choose for your family's healthcare needs, and we will be with you every step of the way.
If your child needs pediatric care, offers top-tier pediatric care to families at five surrounding locations throughout Northern Virginia. Our dedicated team is committed to providing everything from to for your child. All of our providers, including those at our location, are accepting new patients and would be happy to reconnect with our existing families. online, or find a today.