As the leaves begin to change color and the weather gets cooler, it's time to start thinking about cold and flu season. While your children are getting accustomed to the new school year, you may need to be on the lookout for signs of illness. This fall, you'll want to stay in close contact with your child's pediatrician to keep an eye on their health. Fortunately, Capital Area Pediatrics will be right there to help your family with anything you need.
Capital Area Pediatrics is proud to offer primary care services for children of all ages throughout Northern Virginia. Our board-certified pediatricians are committed to providing high-quality, compassionate care for every child we see. With five locations across Northern Virginia, your family is sure to find reliable pediatric health care near them.
Pediatric Care in Vienna
As your children settle into the new school year in Vienna, VA, they'll need a trusted pediatrician to help them along the way. At all five locations of Capital Area Pediatrics, including Vienna, your children can receive the care and support they need to get through the school year with services like:
- Newborn Care - At Capital Area Pediatrics, we understand how demanding caring for an infant can be. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends infants get checkups at birth, three to five days after birth, two weeks after birth, and at the ages of 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, and 24 months. From newborn age to two years old, the first couple of years are among the most crucial times in a baby's growth and development. Your CAP pediatrician will be there every step of the way to ensure your baby is developing as it should, conducting important exams, taking measurements, and assessing behavior. When you’re starting a family, we understand that you may have questions, so we provide prenatal classes and newborn classes for new and expecting parents at Capital Area Pediatrics.
- Adolescent Care - Going through puberty and transitioning from childhood to young adulthood can be confusing for both parents and adolescents. We understand the unique needs of adolescents and are here to help them through this important, often overwhelming stage of life. We offer adolescent health services, including routine check-ups, immunizations, and mental health care. We also provide guidance on adolescent development and sexual health. We strive to create a safe and welcoming environment for children to grow into healthy young adults.
- Sick Visits - During this busy season of viral infections and illnesses, it’s not unlikely that your child gets sick. Capital Area Pediatrics offers Express Care sick visits for our established patients aged 3 months and older. These sick visits are for single symptoms that have lasted less than 2 weeks, or for mild symptoms that require clearance from school or daycare. Symptoms such as sore throat, ear pain, congestion, pink eye, vomiting, diarrhea, and fever can all be evaluated during an Express Care visit. We understand how busy this time of year can be, so we have made self-scheduling available for all Express Care visits. For chronic symptoms, such as wheezing or asthma, you can complete a request for an appointment online and include more detailed information. Additionally, any established CAP patients can be seen at any CAP location that has availability. We want to make sure your children are taken care of this fall, so please do not hesitate to schedule an Express Care visit if they are feeling under the weather.
- Specialty & Chronic Care Services - Capital Area Pediatrics is pleased to provide a full range of specialty and chronic care services. Our team of highly trained specialists offers specialty health care for children with conditions ranging from allergies and asthma to developmental delays and eating disorders. We are dedicated to providing the highest quality of care, and our clinicians work collaboratively to ensure that each child receives the individualized attention they deserve.
- Learning & Attention Disorders - Many children struggle with learning and attention disorders, such as ADHD and dyslexia. These disorders can make school and everyday activities extremely challenging. Our team of specialists is here to help your child overcome these obstacles and succeed in all areas of life. At Capital Area Pediatrics, most of our providers have experience in diagnosing and treating simple, common disorders and problems. If we feel an additional opinion is needed, all of our doctors can refer your family to a trusted partner for an in-depth evaluation.
- Early Development / Autism - Early intervention is critical for children with developmental issues or autism spectrum disorders. At Capital Area Pediatrics, we can offer consults and screenings, provide community resources for in-depth evaluations and/or treatment, and help to coordinate treatment plans to help your child reach their full potential. After initial discussions about developmental concerns, we can also offer additional consults and screenings to families struggling to find answers regarding their children’s health and cognitive skills.
- Sports Physicals - As your child prepares for the new school year, they may be required to get a sports physical before they can join an athletic team. Fairfax County Public Schools serve the town of Vienna, and they require students to have completed a physical exam before participating in school sports. These are required to be after May 1 for the following school year. Our pediatricians are experienced in conducting these exams and can guide how to safely participate in sports.
The physicians at every location of Capital Area Pediatrics are experienced in treating children with a variety of concerns and conditions, as well as providing exceptional preventative care. Whether you are located in Vienna or another town in Northern Virginia, you can count on Capital Area Pediatrics to be there for your family.
Meet Vienna's Top Pediatricians
When you choose Capital Area Pediatrics as your child's primary care doctor in Vienna, you have the opportunity to receive comprehensive care from dedicated health professionals. We have a variety of providers experienced in pediatric medicine, from primary care providers to lactation consultants. You can choose from providers like:
Swathi Burgula, MD, FAAP - Board Certified Pediatrician Swathi Burgula joined the CAP team in January 2017. Born and raised in India, Dr. Burgula was inspired to study pediatrics by watching her aunt, a pediatrician. She spent a lot of her growing years helping her aunt at her pediatric clinic, accompanying her to many medical camps in remote villages.
Dr. Burgula attended medical school at S.V.S. Medical College, India, before completing her residency at INOVA Children's Hospital. She then went on to work for Mary's Center in Washington DC. She now feels happy to be back in the area, living in Oakton with her husband and serving the local community.
While she likes every aspect of pediatrics, Dr. Burgula especially loves taking care of newborns. She is fluent in English, Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, and Urdu, and she can speak some medical Spanish. In her spare time, she enjoys spending time with her family, watching movies, cooking, trying global cuisines, and exploring new places and different cultures.
Carol Mansfield Fox, MD, FAAP - Carol “Cathy' Mansfield Fox is board certified in pediatrics and has been practicing at the Vienna office of Capital Area Pediatrics since 2003 after working at CAP's former Fairfax office for four years.
Dr. Fox completed her pediatric residency at the University of Florida in 1998 after graduating from medical school at the University of Virginia in 1995. Her undergraduate studies were conducted in 1989 at Saint Mary's College in South Bend, Indiana.
Dr. Fox grew up in Reston and now lives in Arlington, VA, along with her husband, Eduardo, and their sons. In her spare time, she enjoys outdoor activities, traveling, and reading.
Katelynn Hillman, MD - Dr. Katelynn Hillman, originally from Huntsville, AL, graduated from her pediatrics residency in 2020 from the Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU. She attended medical school at the University of Alabama School of Medicine, where she also completed her undergraduate studies. Dr. Hillman has an interest in the medical specialty of newborn care, with a focus on supporting new parents and practicing preventative medicine. In her free time, she enjoys baking, running, hiking, and traveling.
Sharon Hong, MD, FAAP - Dr. Sharon Lee Hong, FAAP, is a board-certified pediatric physician who began practicing with Capital Area Pediatrics in 2011. Before joining CAP, Dr. Hong worked as an associate general pediatrician for NOVA Pediatrics, Ltd. in Springfield and Woodbridge, VA for eight years.
Before completing her pediatric residency in 2003 at the University of Maryland in Baltimore, she graduated from medical school at Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, N.Y., in 2000.
Originally from Upstate N.Y., Dr. Hong lives in Vienna with her husband, son, and daughter. She enjoys all aspects of pediatric care but has a special interest in childhood development and pediatric endocrinology. In her spare time, Dr. Hong enjoys outdoor adventures with her kids, yoga, and live music.
Nicole Lee, MD, FAAP - Nicole Jennifer Lee is a board-certified pediatric physician. Dr. Lee spent three years working in New Rochelle, New York, before joining Capital Area Pediatrics in 2005 at the Ashburn/Ryan Park office. She has now been working in the Vienna office since 2008.
In 2002, Dr. Lee completed her pediatric residency at North Shore University Hospital in Long Island, New York. She received her medical degree from the MCP-Hahnemann University School of Medicine, now Drexel University, in 1999 and her undergraduate degree at the University of Delaware in 1995.
Dr. Lee enjoys all aspects of general pediatrics, from newborn issues to ear infections, but she especially likes dealing with adolescents. Dr. Lee is happily married and likes to visit her family who is a short drive away in Delaware. In her spare time, she enjoys experiencing all the cultural aspects of DC, such as the theater, museums, and restaurants.
Edward Morris, MD, FAAP - Edward F. Morris is a board-certified pediatric physician who joined the Vienna Pediatrics office of Capital Area Pediatrics in 1998. He completed his pediatric residency at the University of Virginia in 1997 and received his medical degree from New York University in 1994. His undergraduate degree was earned in 1990 from Washington University in St. Louis.
Dr. Morris was honored to be recognized as one of Northern Virginia magazine's Best Doctors in 2009. During his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family.
Rebecca Sawyer, MD, FAAP - Rebecca B. Sawyer, board certified in pediatrics, joined the Vienna Pediatrics office of Capital Area Pediatrics in 1998. Dr. Sawyer completed her pediatric residency at Georgetown University Hospital in 1994 and received her medical degree from the University of Virginia in 1991. Her undergraduate studies were completed at The College of William and Mary in 1987.
As an active member of the American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Obesity, Dr. Sawyer has a special interest in helping patients with healthy weight management. Dr. Sawyer and her husband have three children whose birthdays are all 5 years apart. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, especially Harry Potter!
Leina Wahba, MD, FAAP - Dr. Leina Wahba is a board-certified pediatrician who has been practicing with the Vienna office of Capital Area Pediatrics since 2011. Before coming to CAP, Dr. Wahba spent six years establishing and operating a successful private pediatric practice in Fairfax, VA. She also worked for two years at Franconia Pediatrics and Family Center, in Alexandria, VA., and spent one year at the neonatal care unit of Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma, MD.
Dr. Wahba's professional interests include public health and preventive medicine. She received the 'America's Top Pediatricians Award' in 2009 and the 'Patients' Choice Award' in 2009 and 2010. In 2011, she was recognized as one of 'America's Most Compassionate Doctors'.
Believing that healthy, happy children lead to a healthier and stronger community, Dr. Wahba is a devoted youth counselor for non-profit organizations and has been a Boy Scouts of America assistant cub master and den leader for several years. In her spare time, Dr. Wahba enjoys outdoor adventures and travel.
Elizabeth Watts, MD, FAAP - Elizabeth H. Watts is board certified in pediatrics and has been practicing at the Vienna Pediatrics office of Capital Area Pediatrics since 1988. Dr. Watts is currently the CEO and Medical Director for CAP, although she still sees patients on a limited basis.
Watts completed her pediatric residency at the Ohio State University, Columbus Children's Hospital, in 1988. Before that, she graduated from the Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, in 1985 and completed her undergraduate studies at Asbury College in 1981.
Dr. Watts has special professional interests in the emotional needs and development of children and adolescents. Dr. Watts lives in Chantilly with her husband, who is a retired art teacher. She has two sons and a daughter, and enjoys music and being outdoors with her family.
Karen Browning, CPNP - Karen Browning, a board-certified nurse practitioner, is originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She attended Georgetown University in Washington, DC where she earned her BSN. She also earned her MSN from the Catholic University of America. Karen originally joined Capital Area Pediatrics in 2001 and has recently rejoined us at the Vienna Office.
Sarah McDonald, RN, MS, IBCLC - Sarah McDonald, a native of the Washington, DC area, is a Registered Nurse and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant who joined Capital Area Pediatrics in November 2020. She has over 20 years of experience in maternal and child nursing, including 6 years as a practicing Nurse Midwife.
Despite having over 10 years in the field of nursing at the time of her son’s birth, Sarah struggled with breastfeeding her son but worked closely with a lactation consultant. Determined and always eager to learn, Sarah began studying lactation while she was home raising her son. When it was time to return to the job force, she chose to start a career helping new mothers with breastfeeding instead of recertifying as a Nurse-Midwife.
Sarah feels honored to be able to help new parents and babies as they figure out how to reach their personal goals. She believes each baby is unique and amazing and loves to teach parents to see their baby’s cues. Whether it is baby number 1 or number 5, there is always something new. Sarah is amazed that her once-preemie son, who struggled to eat, grew up to be over 6 feet tall. Outside of work, Sarah enjoys doing things outside like taking long walks with her dog, going on sailing trips with her husband, or working in the garden.
No matter which provider you choose, you can be sure that your child will receive the best possible care at Capital Area Pediatrics in Vienna. Each of our locations are equipped with experienced providers who are dedicated to making your family's lives easier.
Fall Fun in Vienna
There are many reasons why people choose to live in Vienna, but among the top two for many residents are the schools and the sense of community. The town of Vienna is served by the Fairfax County Public School System, which is consistently ranked among the best school systems in the country. You can send your children off to school this fall knowing that they will be receiving an exceptional education in a positive environment. If they experience any learning difficulties, your CAP pediatrician will be right nearby to help with anything they need.
In addition, Vienna is a close-knit community where residents look out for one another. With plenty of parks, hiking trails, and even a community garden for all residents to enjoy, the town is filled with opportunities for family-friendly fun. The town hosts many community events, like the Vienna Oktoberfest and the annual Light Up Vienna Holiday Decorating Contest. These events have plenty of activities suited for the enjoyment of adults and kids alike. Vienna is the perfect place for your children to grow up in a close, supportive community.
Capital Area Pediatrics is happy to make your life in Vienna as enjoyable as possible. With a CAP pediatrician by your side, your family is sure to be happy and healthy all year long, no matter which location you choose.
If your little one is showing signs of seasonal illness, or you just want to keep your family prepared and healthy, reach out to the experts at Capital Area Pediatrics. With five locations across Northern Virginia, you are sure to find a CAP pediatrician near you who will care for your children like one of their own.
If your child needs pediatric care, Capital Area Pediatrics offers top-tier pediatric care to families at five surrounding locations throughout Northern Virginia. Our dedicated team is committed to providing everything from newborn care to adolescent care for your child. All of our providers, including those at our Falls Church location, are accepting new patients and would be happy to reconnect with our existing families. Request an appointment online, or find a location near you today.